Skin Care Hacks For The Festive Season.
How to keep your skin glowing all through the festive season.
I love this time of the year, everywhere looks so pretty with Christmas lights, I love the buzz and fun of the build up to Christmas. It is a busy time though and can get a bit hectic with parties, shopping and the inevitable work that needs to get done in time so that you can relax once Christmas Eve arrives.
With everything that is going on, your normal skincare routine can play second fiddle to everything else. The combination of the colder weather, parties, alcohol and rich food means that your skin can suffer. So here are a few of my quick hacks to see you through the festive season.
- Stay hydrated, aim for 2 litres of water per day and on the days that you know you are going out that night make it 3 litres! Take a dioralyte before you go out drinking and then one again before you go to bed, and one more when you wake up. This will help you recover quicker and prevent the inevitable dehydration that comes with drinking. When your skin is dehydrated no amount of make-up will save you.
- Invest in the Environ Revival Masque, this masque is probably one of the best masques I have ever come across in my 25 years as a skin therapist. It draws moisture to the surface of your skin and is deemed a ‘Face Lift In A Jar’ for its lifting effects. Perfect for using either before you go out or to help your skin recover the next morning.
- However tempting it may be DON’T EVER USE WIPES to remove your make up. I know, I know it’s the last thing you want to do after a night out but it is hands down the worst thing you can do for your skin if you want to look fresh the next morning. Double cleanse first with an oil based cleanser, then a cleansing gel or milk. If you absolutely must skip a step in your routine through shear tiredness, skip moisturising instead of the cleansing part……ideally don’t skip either!!
- The morning after the night before, if you have over indulged your skin is going to look pale, pasty and your eyes are probably going to look like two dark hollows. You can instantly look healthier if you apply a small amount of false tan along with your moisturiser.
- If you are someone that gets puffy eyes, take an age old tip from the super models and use haemorrhoid cream under your eyes to relieve puffiness. A word of caution though, I would not rely on this method on a frequent basis and make sure you don’t get it in your eyes!
- Book a facial, what better way to recover after a night out?!
If you over-indulged and need to be back on your feet pronto, then check out Dr. Fionnula Mc Hale, she offers vitamin and mineral infusions that help to replenish nutrients lost and allow you to function when you have no other choice. Find her on Instagram @drfionnula.